Green Bananas are a rich source of potassium, Vitamin C, and fiber, in a form called resistant starch. This type of fiber is known to benefit our health in so many ways. This blog post will explore the benefits and health promoting side effects of green bananas!
First let’s start with what is happening when a banana goes from being green, to yellow to over ripe?
A green banana contains a high amount of fiber. It is through the ripening process that enzymes break down the fibers which turn them into sugars. As the ripening process continues past ripe, the banana starts to break down. This is because the enzymes have broken down almost all of the fibers making the banana mushy and brown, but also very sweet! At that point we consider the banana “over ripe” and we use it mainly for baking purposes (banana pancakes) or even throwing them into smoothies.
Benefits of Green Bananas
1. Rich in Resistant Starch: As you mentioned, green bananas are an excellent source of resistant starch. This type of starch is not fully broken down in the small intestine and acts as a prebiotic, promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. This can contribute to a healthier digestive system.
2. Supports Blood Sugar Control: The high fiber content, including resistant starch, in green bananas can help regulate blood sugar levels. This is especially beneficial for individuals who have blood sugar management issues, from hypoglycemia to insulin resistance to diabetes, or even metabolic syndrome.
3. Nutrient Powerhouse: Green bananas pack a nutritional punch with a good amount of potassium and vitamin C. Potassium is crucial for maintaining proper heart and muscle function, while vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system and skin.
4. Aids in Weight Management: The fiber in green bananas provides a feeling of fullness, which can help with weight management by reducing overall food intake. Additionally, the slow digestion of resistant starch may contribute to a prolonged feeling of satisfaction after a meal.
5. Promotes Heart Health: The combination of potassium and fiber in green bananas is heart-friendly. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure, and the fiber content supports healthy cholesterol levels. Both are key factors in maintaining cardiovascular health.
Remember, while ripe bananas have their own set of benefits, incorporating green bananas into your diet can offer unique advantages due to their specific nutrient composition.